Tuesday, April 12, 2011

News at 11: "Very Homosexual" Gauguin Painting, "Two Tahitian Women," Attacked by Would-Be Semiotic Murderer | via Boingboing.net

At my keynote lecture in Hawaii recently, I reiterated a line from the introduction to Eyegiene: Permutations of Subjectivity in the Televisual Age of Sex and Race. The line, a mash-up/riff-/rip-off torn from the pages of Descartes' reads: "I see, therefore I am" altering the "I think, therefore I am" line from Descartes' Discourse on Method ("Je pense, donc jes suis," in the original; cogito ergo sum, later, in his Principles of Philosophy*)--maybe "I see, therefore I presume I am thinking right" is closer to the mark.

Click for the story
In any event the story opposite, from The Smoking Gun, on Susan Burns attack of a painting for the allegedly lurid act it discloses/solicits(?), forms a curious micro-chapter for my ever-growing study.



original source: boingboing.net

No comments:

Post a Comment